Monday, August 1, 2016

Shepherds Hooks and Smocks

Hello Dear Folk,

This area in the museum was dedicated to animals, and especially sheep farming.  I was interested to see the shepherds hooks and the crates to carry the animals to market in.




As my great, great grandfather was a shepherd in Dorset, I was interested in seeing the shepherds hooks of old. My mum said that the relatives in Somerset had photos of him in his shepherds smock, I wish we had that photo.  It does seem though that smocks were worn by other folk, below we see bricklayers from Bedfordshire.


I do want to have a go at smocking I have a Folkwear pattern I would like to try.



Christy

4 comments:

  1. Do you remember wearing dresses with smocking when we were children. MY friend's mum made beautiful smocked dresses for her two girls then the next year gave them to my mum for my younger sister and me. They were a work of art. I love the old farming pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of that book. What a wonderful thing to be able to make the clothes of earlier days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Nan. Yes I really must make an English smock, it's part of my heritage

      Delete
  3. That photo of the 3 men in their smocks is wonderful. I do hope the top hat wasn't worn for work.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10