Friday, September 1, 2017

Anne of Green Gables

Hi Dear Folk,

Every one knows Anne of Green Gables, has read the books and sat down in winter with a cup of tea and biscuits to watch all the episodes one after the other, it's a feel good moment.

I think people are most familiar with this series staring Megan Fellows.  The 1985 Canadian TV Series, which had two sequels.


The one below was a 2016 Canadian made for TV movie staring Ella Ballentine, this was not one of my favourites I did not fall in love with the cast.


A new Canadian series on Netflix for 2017 stars Amybeth McNulty and is called Anne with an E.  I do like the casting in this series, but I almost think it reflects the times we live in because it is so much darker.  It also stars Geraldine James as Marilla, I have always liked her as an actress from the first time I saw her in the series Jewel In The Crown.

Anne was an orphan she probably did live a dreadful life before being adopted, rejection probably was a serious problem with her and her wonderful imagination may be the way she escaped from all that happened around her.

I just finished watching the last episode on Netflix and it ends on a dark note.  So hope they bring out the new series soon, because Anne of Green Gables should not end on a down.

There is some beautiful scenery in this series, and much was filmed on location in PEI, just as I remember it.


PEI and the surroundings that inspired Lucy Maud Montgomery.  She called PEI by it's Indian name Abegweit, which means Cradled on the Waves, and PEI is shaped like a cradle.



You might also like this documentary about her life.



Christy

1 comment:

  1. Why do remakes of old favourites always have to be "realistic" now? They did the same with the new tv serial of Gerald Durrell's books. I want feel good and comforting not gritty realism. There is enough of that in the real world.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10